Snaptrip’s Guide to Christmas away from home
So you’re not staying at home this Christmas? Yes! Can you hear us applauding your adventurous spirit? But as with everything, there are some logistical points to consider before jumping ship to your perfectly cosy Christmas cottage.. Hence this guide! Part fun-stuff, part-practical info, carry on reading for Snaptrip’s guide to a great Christmas Staycation!
Maybe your home isn’t in an exactly… inspiring location
Which is why packing up and shipping the family to a fabulously exciting, peaceful, or scenic destination for Christmas is often the superior option. Plus, who wants to get their own house messy? Even more, maybe you’ve got a large family and simply don’t have the space to put everyone up? If so, then escaping to a festive cottage might be the answer you’re looking for.
Things to pack, and things to leave
Just to make life that bit easier, here’s the list of essentials you’ll need (and won’t need!) to take with you.
– Suitcases instead of Santa Sacks are, reluctantly, allowed –
- Though it’s always best to ask one of our lovely customer service team, christmas trees are usually waiting for you at your staycation cottage.
- Do however, pack some battery-powered christmassy fairy-lights, because, let’s face it – you can never have too many fairy-lights.
- Don’t fill up the car with food and goodies when you can simply order in advance a big batch of online shopping to be delivered to your cottage’s address for the night of your arrival. This way, the turkey arrives when you do. Genius.
- Bring along your gifts, wrapped up and labelled so there’s no confusion. And make sure you’ve not left anyone out!
- Gifts aren’t the only thing that make Christmas special. Family fun, games and movie-watching-sprees are also a huge part of Christmas for most families. By all means fetch that much-loved board game and that old copy of Home Alone, but remember some of our cottages like the Excellent York Barn, come with their own DVDs and books!
Check out PackPoint app (perfect for helping to get your mind straight and organised before the trip!)
And of course, Jamie Oliver for the PERFECT Christmas Dinner!
But what if Santa can’t find you?
Because there are certain things you need to explain to the kids, wherever it is you may be. Let them know you’ve spoken to Santa, or failing that – that Santa knows everything and he’s fully aware where you’ll all be staying for Christmas. Of course, get out the standard mince pies and carrots (or whatever your tradition may be!) ready for the big man himself, and if the kids need further convincing, get them to write him a letter stating where exactly they’ll be this Christmas.
The Top 10 Most Christmassy Activities for your Staycation
- Ice skating. From the screams as you fall down to the weeeeeee’s! as you fly through the air – holding hands and trying to land that ‘Dancing on Ice’ 360 spin, watching as the person trying to skate backwards unsuccessfully moves about two inches – it’s safe to say ice skating is a much-loved Christmas activity for all the family.
- Christmas markets. Is there anything that screams Christmas louder than a bustling display of warmly-lit market stalls, serving us hot bratwursts and delicious pancakes, nifty trinkets and woollen goodies? Probably not. And for all the adults, be sure to have some gluhwein – it’s tradition! We’ve found you some of the best markets if you need inspiration.
- Craft fairs and fairgrounds. Because fairgrounds, complete with their candy-floss stalls, miniature arcades and dazzling, twisting and turning rides, are a perfect Christmas night out and craft fairs are the perfect Christmas day out!